A jigsaw is a valuable tool designed explicitly for carving, cutting, and stenciling woods, metal, and other concrete materials in construction work. Most of them operate on the rotary blade principle, also known as a push-and-pull movement. They are versatile and cost-effective compared to other power tools on the market.
Being relatively simple to operate, Jigsaws don’t take a lot of practice to master. If you are starting with a woodwork project of your own and aren’t sure which jigsaw is best for your needs, here are the best beginner jigsaws for you to start with.
Top 4 Best Beginner Jigsaws to Consider
Here are the top four Jigsaws we have short-listed for beginners based on their efficiency and cost-effectiveness.
1. Bosch JS470E 120-Volt 7.0-Amp Top-Handle Jigsaw
ASIN Number: B004323NPK
The Bosch JS470E weighs more than 10 pounds and has a 7.0 amp motor that can spin at 3,100 RPM. The maximum speed can be set with a dial, and the operating speed can be controlled with a trigger accelerator. The lock-on knob is also ambidextrous.
The large die-cast metallic foot with steel spacer has a secure gripper structure and an attached bevel spanner. Its footplate can withstand a pressure of up to 546 pounds.
Four rotary-action settings provide a wide range of blade arm movements for sleek and powerful cuts. The lower torque feature increases cutting precision. The blade separation lever keeps you from contacting the hot blade with a quick blade-changing system without needing any tools.
- It includes a sturdy protective case and a plastic base wrap.
- The cable is super long, and the blade ejection lever requires no tools.
- There are four easily adjustable orbital action configurations to choose from.
- It doesn’t come with a light.
- It only has a single detent at 0 degrees, despite having 15, 22.5, 30, and 45 degrees marks on the footplate.
- This is quite heavy for extended use, weighing more than ten pounds.
2. PORTER-CABLE Orbital Jig Saw, 6.0-Amp, Corded
ASIN Number: B00OZEUL7Y
The Porter-Cable PC600JS, which weighs 7 pounds and has speed control from 0 to 3200 SPM, is operated by a 6 Amp motor. It features a 7-position speed dial incorporated into the trigger for optimized cutting. The high-power motor and four orbital setup empower appropriate and precise cutting through various materials. A lock-on button is easier to control over time and reduces user exhaustion.
The tool-free blade replacement reduces downtime and saves you from the hassle. This saw works for both Tang shaft and Universal blades, giving you a wide range of blade options, and comes with an LED light for increased visibility.
- This saw is equipped with an LED for use in low-light conditions.
- The shoe is covered to avoid scratching or damaging composite and softwood materials.
- It comes with seven-speed options.
- The saw is compatible with both Tang and Universal blades.
- Its power cord is extremely short, measuring only six feet in length.
- There is no dust collection system on the saw.
- This saw comes without a hard-shell case.
3. BLACK+DECKER Jig Saw, Smart Select, 5.0-Amp (BDEJS600C)
ASIN Number: B00OJ72LHK
This jigsaw is from a black and orange manufacturer that recently gained popularity. It’d be ideal for simple craft and pallet projects such as open shelving. It has a powerful 5 amp motor that can spin at 3000 SPM (strokes per minute). It can cut through chipboard, laminate, wood, PVC, aluminum, and other metals if it has the right blade.
Using U and T shanks and the same tools, there are lesser chances of blade change. It features a Curve Control Technique, thanks to the orbital action. Furthermore, you can also choose how aggressive you want the cuts to be.
- The orbital action control is huge and clearly labeled, and Curve Control technology enables the orbit to be adjusted in one of four settings.
- Its ergonomic design gives a solid grip making it comfortable to hold and motion absorption for more prolonged use.
- It’s not too bulky, is well-balanced, and is quite sturdy for hours of continuous use.
- It doesn’t require a tool for blade change.
- This jigsaw has a hole for attaching a suction hose.
- Insufficient power for more complicated projects
- Making straight cuts can be difficult.
4. Makita DJV180Z 18V LXT Cordless Jigsaw
ASIN Number: B00IILRQBY
The Makita DJV180Z 18V LXT Cordless jigsaw is the one to get if you want a smartly designed, user-friendly jigsaw. This jigsaw is one of the best beginner jigsaw overall, with high ratings in power, reliability, and handling. It weighs around 2.3Kg without a battery and is purposefully designed heavier to prevent it from wobbling during the cutting process.
It is manufactured with a special star-protection battery with an LXT feature that prevents overcharging, recurring discharging, and overheating during operation. The safety lock on the adjustable speed trigger ensures that the device remains stable while running at high speeds, minimizing the risk of human error. No to miss, this tool offers straight, elliptical, and bevel cuts.
- It’s best for precision cutting and makes less sound.
- It is comparatively more durable.
- Material for levers is prone to cracking.
- There’s no ON/OFF switch making it less secure to use.
- Some batteries are incompatible and must be carefully selected.
Our Final Thoughts
All of these four saws have excellent features for beginners, but it will eventually come down to personal preference. For instance, depending on whether you have a preferred brand, the jigsaw for beginners may vary considerably.
As far as electric jigsaws go, the Bosch JS470E is the definite victor. It’s pricier and bulkier than other saws, but it’s more dynamic and effective. Yes, it is a hefty investment, but it will serve you well for many years. While we have short-listed four of the best beginner jigsaw on the market, there are many more options available for you can explore.
Photo by Thijs van der Weide on Pexels